Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Lectures

Ok. I am a Classical Studies (Greek and Roman History) major. I'm considering a minor in Art History. I used to want to get my major in Classics (Greek and Latin Languages) but I decided I was more interested in Art and I love Latin but wasn't quite strong enough. I also do not have much love for literary analysis which advanced langauages has a lot of. Also, UBC doesn't have a Historical Linquistics program so it didn't sem like a viable option.

The masters program I would like to return to at Nottingham is titled "The Visual Culture of Classical Antiquity" which basically studies the social and cultural aspects of Classical Art in it's own times and how it has been used and considered since then. There are so many directions I could take it and it makes me excited to think about the possibilities.

Last year my "Fun Lecture" was Latin. I loved the people but the work was hard. My "Inspiring Lecture" was a lecture in Ancient Sculpture ran by the women who run the masters program.

This year my boring classes are basically requirements of my degree program. The first one is Classical Art and Archeology. I just find the lecturer not very interesting and a kind of lacking analytical depth. It's not all stuff I know (but much of it is review) but it's just not being presented interestingly. The second one is CLassical Lit and a lot of it is review and I find the lectures slow but I really like "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey" which are our main texts for the first month and a bit. After we'll do Athenian drama which I'm excited about because I like drama and I have a lot more detailed knowledge of Athens due to some lectures last year.

My other morning class is Egyptian Art and Archeology. Right now it's a lot of prehistory and the details of how they made stone tools isn't super interesting to me. However, I am excited for when we get into the kingdoms and those eras. The other two lectures are both art focused. One is a very interesting seminar session about approaches and methodologies of Art history and criticism and the other is about the visual culture of the 18th century. I like both of those and all the friends I am making are from them.

So now you can see that I am a dork and even when I don't want to go to lectures it has nothing to do with my actual love for my subject. When I read for fun I'm always chosing things that generally surround this topic and are fiction. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my degree but I am very excited to continue with it.

In other news I saw the guy who was doing reiki and conversed slightly with me about tarot cards a week or so ago but he was doing reiki with someone else so I didn't talk to him. I might have otherwise. Maybe. Probably not but I would have considered it.

Last night Midge and I were talking and we get to the subject of charming/insincere boys and she suggested the guy I met through her last week at dinner (Let's call him ) is charming. I said I didn't get that at all but she said it was because he probably didn't wasn't trying to pick me up and he might on Wednesday. Hmm.

Tomorrow is tattoo day. I've got my borig morning lectures, Therapy and then Midge and I are meeting Titania for Lunch. Then Farmer is meeting us at the shop. We'll be taking lots of pictures but I don't know if any will make it onto here. After we'll be going to dinner along with the other person I met at dinenr last week and really liked. Then I'll spend the night at home watching "America's Next Top Model" and "Veronica Mars" and probably feeling sore.

I know I have two new people to name but I don't know them well enough to give them good ones yet. Hopefully after the next meeting with them I'll have it sorted. Midge and I are going to go for a walk now and get a snack.

No comments: